Click on any of the links below to read the full review(s).
Strobist:
Downside: price, increase size takes up more room in your bag and your current light modifiers might not fit it (A Scott Kelby blogger also noted that it was a challenge fitting them into Justin Clamps, and some other off-camera hot shoe mounts).
Upside: recycle time of 2 seconds (1 second of you use the optional battery pack), thermal shutdown protection.
"My biggest problem is, I absolutely love the SB-800s. IMO, many of the added features are great. But I do not think I can justify switching everything out wholesale. Buying just one might be a very good idea -- I can see many instances when those extra features would make for a more useful single flash."
bythom:
Downside: Size is bulky, plastic tripod mount, No multiple cabled TTL or TTL modes.
Upside: Thought it was their best flash interface to date, better swivel, dedicated gel holder.
"After some preliminary use, I don't think there's any doubt: get an SB-900 if you're heavy into flash (and retire your SB-800 to dedicated remote wireless use)."
Ken Rockwell:
Downside: Too big, too expensive. does not work in the traditional TTL mode of film cameras.
Upside: Great zoom range, evenness of illumination, Faster recycle time.
"The SB-900 is a flash for full-time newsmen and wedding shooters. It's a poor choice for general photography."
Personally, I have no plans to go out and get the SB-900, as I use flash only when I absolutely have to (like shooting a wedding in a cave), but I am troubled that the SB-900 is a replacement for the SB-800, not in new addition to the Nikon flash family.
You will find the Nikon SB-900 page here.
I like mine. It's wonderful...
ReplyDeleteI've read so many reviews over and over again and can't wait until I find myself using one. However, with the new SB700 coming out, I think that may be the way to go. Same layout at the 900 but at a fraction of the cost. Thanks for posting the review of the reviews, it's incredibly helpful.
ReplyDeleteJust noticed the comment I left a year and a half ago. I ended up buying a used sb-900 and haven't looked back. The functionality is just great and the menus are very easy to navigate.
ReplyDeleteYes, people also complain about the thermal cut-out....cutting out! You can turn off the thermal cut-out and treat just like your SB800...and blissfully blast away indefinitely.
ReplyDeleteGreat review! The SB-900 was definitely a big leap forward at the time, especially with its wide 17–200mm zoom range and flexible illumination patterns—it really gave photographers much more control over lighting in different situations.
ReplyDeleteI also like how it integrates with Nikon’s Creative Lighting System, making multi-flash setups much easier to manage. Even today, I think mastering lighting like this can make a bigger difference than just upgrading camera bodies.
From my experience, combining good lighting with proper post-processing is key—especially in real estate photography. If anyone wants to improve their final images, this resource might be helpful: Phephotos
Thanks for sharing!