So it made me reflect on some of my dog posts and thought I would "re-run" one of them today, so here it is:
It was not that long ago that I thought "dogs are stupid", you couldn't go away without either taking them with you or finding a sitter, it involved getting up in the middle of the night to let them out, they require constant walks, and don't even get me started in picking up their "little gifts".
So needless to say, I was NEVER going to be a dog owner.
But seven years ago our daughters REALLY wanted a dog, mind you we had gotten them every pet you can imagine in an effort to avoid that very thing, but gerbils won't fetch, cats are too cool for people and goats, well they just smell way too bad and hate it when you put ribbons in their hair.
I finally caved and got a miniature schnauzer as it's small and doesn't shed.
Well 30 seconds into dog ownership I realized the error of my ways. I loved my dog.
Two years later we got another schnauzer and just last year we rescued a third.
We put in a pellet stove and our first dog, Bonnie, can be found daily warming her buns in front of the fire and has no problem letting me know when the pellets are getting low.
I got my wife this canvas (of Bonnie ~ Cali ~ Gracie) for Christmas because the last things she sees every time she leaves the house are these three little faces peering out from between the fence posts begging her to stay.
People who don't have dogs will think the following is goofy (no pun intended, well, maybe a little), dog owners will appreciate it though (unless of course you are Michael Vick):
A Dogs Ten Commandments.........
1. Before you take me home know that my life is likely to last 10-15 years, so please be sure you are in it for the long haul.
2. Give me time to understand what you want from me
3. Place your trust in me. I will always trust you.
4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment.
5. You have your work, your entertainment, and your friends. I only have you and any separation from you is painful.
6. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
7. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be wrong. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I’ve been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.
9. Please take care of me when I grow old.
10. When it is time for me to “go on ahead”, please stay with me. Don’t say “I can't bear to watch” because I won’t want to face it alone. Everything is easier for ME if you are there, because I love you so.