Review of the book "Digital Food Photography" by Lou Manna...

My good friend and fellow photographer Mike Palmer has been showing off some of his outstanding food photography on his blog.

He gives credit to the Lou Manna book "Digital Food Photography", so I asked him if he would write a review and show some of his work.

Thankfully he said yes, so ladies and gentlemen I present Mike Palmer!

So you want to jump into food photography! I know I did, and with a few tips from Scott Kelby that he posted on his blog (here, here, and here) and the Lou Manna book "Digital Food Photography" later and I had the opportunity to shoot some food with a very notable Chef.

The book starts off with a couple chapters on the technical side of the food photography business. Lou covers in detail each element necessary to take good food shots, what kind of camera, lens, and camera settings are all covered in chapter 1 & 2, it then moves on dealing with clients, food styling, and some very specific lighting set ups for food.

The rest of the book will take you through the COMPLETE process of becoming a food photographer. Lou Mann gives you his real world view of what it takes to be successful and shows you all aspects of the business.

If you have a passion for “good eats” or are looking for a new angle for your business. Lou Manna’s "Digital Food Photography" will not disappoint.

I would also recommend eating something before diving into this book; the photographs are first class and will have you salivating.

The images below are from Mike and can be viewed larger (and in a new window) simply by clicking on it.




15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike gave a great review...the book must be great - look at the wonderful results he's gotten from his food photography!

Miguel Palaviccini said...

I'm hungry! This sounds like it might be going into my new collection of photography books. I've been wanting to start a blog (for note-taking mostly) with my recent recipes. Basically, what I like and don't like in each recipe that I make so that I can always go back and make it to my liking the next time around. Images would be a great addition to all of the recipes ... and great images would be that much better.

Amazon has rated this book 4.5/5 stars. $26 and free shipping with Amazon Prime. I may just have to bite the bullet.

I am really interested in the food styling part of the book. I hope it's not just a sentence or two, but instead a detailed description.

I'm waiting until I read all of you photography reviews before I buy anything - and I'm making a list along the way. I should have done this weeks ago! A wishlist for Christmas ... now it's a wishlist for tax-return money :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Miguel Palaviccini said...

Just bookmarked Mike Palmer's blog :)

clipping path said...

Great Food Photography review and Thanks for shearing with us .
Remove White Background

Robert Smith said...

Absolutely nice food photography.

clipping path service said...

So amazing food photography. Thanks for share.
clipping path service | clipping path

Photo Editing Company said...

Great Food photography. Your photoshoot style is quite impressive. Thanks for sharing.

OGEN Infosystem (P) Limited said...

Keep it for more updates about this blog. Get the best Web Designing and Digital Marketing Services.
Website Designing Company in Delhi

Mutual Fundwala said...

Nice blog, visit Mutual Fund Wala for Mutual Funds India, Mutual Fund Companies and Mutual Fund Agent.
Mutual Fund Companies

Clipping Path said...


Very nice post. Thanks for sharing with us.

Sazzad Khan Rubel said...

Marvelous post!!! Your blog is really outstanding. Thanks a lot for sharing such a wonderful post.


Clipping Path | Image Background Removal Service | Image Masking

Service
| Image Manipulation Service | Photo Retouching Service | Shadow Creation Service | Color Correction Service | Clipping Path Service

Clipping Path said...

Really enjoyable article it is. Very good website. Thanks
Photo Cropping || PHOTO RETOUCHING SERVICES

Jibon Ahamed said...

This is Amazing Blog post .I read your blog .It is very usfuly blog..

Clipping Path
Background Removal

Jahid Babu said...

It's really outstanding food photography and looks beautiful.

Food Photography Backdrops