A (brave) man and his dog...



You know the routine, if it's the weekend I am (most likely) off topic.

Those who have followed this blog for very long have read my posts about the military (like here and here) and dogs (here and here), so this week when I read the story about the loss of Navy Seal Jon Tumilson and saw the images from his funeral of when his dog walked up to his casket and laid down I knew right away I wanted to share it with as many people as I could (though I doubt few have missed it).


I tried to explain to my teenage daughters the bravery it takes to deliberately put yourself in harms way, to run towards danger when every fiber in your being is telling you to run the other way, all the while knowing you may be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice, to give that last full measure.


It has been my honor to personally know such men.

Sometimes I think it's not that we are a great country, it's that we are a country made up of great people... people like Jon Tumilson.

7 comments:

Darrell said...

I often wonder if we're even worthy of such men and beasts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this.

twm said...

What an image, it put 'loss' from a different/commonly overlooked perspective. Thanks for posting. TM

Susan Carroll-Seger said...

No words necessary your images say it all..Thanks

Jason Anderson said...

Former military myself, fellow lab owner, and softie at heart,when I saw these in the media I pretty much lost it...

Amazing...

Joanna Kapica said...

Thank you for sharing this story, Scott. I may be writing from abroad- but the story of brave people who sacrifice their most valuable thing they own, life, should be shared and their life respected.

Thank you.

half blind said...

In going back and re-reading this post, I am in awe of anyone who puts their life on the line for another, and the bond between this man and his dog. Truly amazing. Thanks for posting this, Scott.