My top five Christmas movies..



Here I sit, listening to Christmas music (Johnny Mathis), our Christmas tree is dominating the room, and I'm really waaaaay more into Christmas than photography at this very moment so thought I would share my "top five" Christmas movie list.


Number one on my list is "The Bishop's Wife" with Cary Grant, Loretta Young, and David Niven. It's the story of an Episcopal Bishop who is losing sight of his family and why he entered the church as he becomes engrossed in having an elaborate new cathedral built, that is until an angel enters his life and helps him refocus on what is really important.


Second on the list is "A Christmas Carol"... don't really think I have to tell anyone what this movie is about.


Third is "It's a Wonderful Life", a story about how George Bailey spent his entire life trying to get out of Bedford Falls but for one reason or another never succeeds. Feeling his life has been wasted he has the rare opportunity to see what the lives of those he touched would have been like had he never been born, it's then he realizes he is the richest man in town.


Fourth is "Scrooged", a remake of A Christmas Carol set in modern days with Bill Murray. It is as heart warming as it is funny.


Fifth, and last on my list is "The Shop Around the Corner", another movie with Jimmy Stuart and is not really a Christmas movie, more that it takes place at Christmas time. If you've seen the movie "You've got Mail" you already know the plot line.

These are my favorites because they beautifully demonstrate love that we (should) have for each other and the better side of mankind. If you like sentimentality at Christmas (like I do) you just can't go wrong with any of these movies, if you haven't seen them I would strongly encourage you to do so.

Please, I would love to hear what movies have made it to the top of your Christmas list.

5 comments:

adamsorber said...

Nice list, Scott, but I have to say: the 1999 version of A Christmas Carol wouldn't be my pick to represent this classic tale. Stewart's pretentious overacting made this dud unwatchable for me.

I much prefer the 1984 version with George C. Scott, terrible representations of Tiny Tim and the Ghost of Christmas Past notwithstanding.

My favorite version by far, however, is the 1970 musical Scrooge with Albert Finney. Apart from Alec Guinness' campy portrayal of Marley, this film was nearly flawless. I know musicals aren't everyone's cup of tea (they typically aren't mine), but if you haven't seen this, it's worth a viewing.

Scott said...

I'm not a musical fan either, but this was a brilliant version... love the song "thank you very much".

Of all the different versions, if I had to pick one it would be from 1951 with Alastair Sim, it didn't make the list because the production quality is so bad it's like watching a movie through gauze.

My daughters gave me a hard time for leaving the 1994 movie "The Santa Clause" with Tim Allen off the list, this was a glaring omission on my part.

Thanks for commenting.

AC Williams said...

I, too, prefer the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol. But I know I am showing my age, my list would include Elf and Home Alone.

Merry Christmas

Scott said...

Good movie choices AC.

My problem with George C. Scott is that no matter what movie he is in, all I see is him as General Patton (A phenomenal movie).

Thanks for coming by and taking the time to comment.

Chance said...

Hmm, I think I'd have to say Die Hard.

In all seriousness though, Elf, A Christmas Story, and It's a Wonderful Life are my top 3. Mr. Krueger's Christmas is another favorite, though it may be a bit short to be called a movie.

Merry Christmas!