Noisy picture tutorial part II...


A few people left comments (and emailed me) wondering what the image would look like color (as they liked the pink in her cheeks).

So I edited the image again but kept it in color, so here are all the steps I did for todays edit:

1. The first thing I did was reduced the noise (in Photoshop - "Filter", "Noise", "Reduse Noise") and as noise is less acceptable in color images I reduced the noise more than I did yesterday

2. Because I reduced the noise more the image was a bit "softer" so the next thing I did was some sharpening

3. The two things folks commented on the most was the pink in her cheeks and the character on her pajamas so to bring those out a bit more I burned both ever so slightly

4. Added a vignette

5. Added a 2 pixel black border (stroke)

So, the same picture, the same problem (noise) and a slightly different fix.

This was a more challenging edit (both today and yesterday) as the image was only 188k in size, had there been more pixels there would have been more to work with (and editing would have been easier).

Here is the origianl image:



(click on either image to view larger and in a new window)


14 comments:

JLI said...

Wow, that's a pretty amazing change! The soft focus affect, to me, is what makes the picture so beautiful and endearing. Well done. :)

Gabby Malcuit said...

It looks great!

Jeremy said...

Color for the win!

Richard said...

I love both the B&W and colour versions, but for this subject I think the colour works the best. Probably more so because it is soft and delicate colour. Lovely.

JimvanI said...

A wee bit as I expected. The color in this case adds to the quality of the picture

Josie said...

Wow again, Scott. I can't thank you enough for working on this picture. It looks even more amazing now. Lyra is loving her 'internet fame'. We showed her the B&W yesterday when I got in from work and she was very proud! She'll love this one when I get in today, I'm sure. I've always loved the picture - but had never really tried to do anything with it because I assumed that from the iPhone 3G camera, the small file size and the dim lighting, the noise was pretty much unsalvageable.Your tutorials are always useful, but this one has saved one of my favourite pictures! Thanks again, so much.

Dee said...

That really is a great picture, what a moment you captured. Here is a good place for more photography tips.

Miguel Palaviccini said...

much better than the bw version.

maryann [MF*****Fotos] said...

Who says you can't make a 'bad' image look good? You just proved it is possible. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

jcarey.photography said...

wow this is a great looking final image! I am continuing to learn more about photoshop and photography in general, and this has helped me a lot. until this post, i had no clue that there was even a "reduce noise" filter that i could use and since reading it have used it to really clean up a few of my favorite low light pictures. thank you!

JAC said...

Fantastic transformation.

I think that I would also soften the dog (especially the eye), as it seems much sharper than the girls face and therefore draws my eye.

Perhaps also darkening her right arm to match her left again to avoid distracting from her face.

maycatdecal said...

I am a student, I joined the blog to make friends with the lava away from the liver around the world. I want to learn many things about the country, people, life, culture ... of your country.

I Love Photography said...

The edited version is way better than the original. Thanks for sharing how you did the trick. Thanks.

half blind said...

The soft focus looks beautiful.