Today is Stinky's birthday!...


Molly, the oldest of my Irish triplets turns 16 today. It's a very happy happy/sad day.... I love the woman she is becoming but I miss the little girls she was.

When she was really little Molly thought all the hoopla on Halloween was in celebration of her birthday, and of course I did nothing to dissuade her from thinking that.


Let me share two quick stories that shows what kind of person my Molly is.

Story 1:

She was 6 at the time, had long hair, way down her back long hair and one day came into the kitchen and announced to us that she wanted to have her hair cut off so she should could "donate to the company that makes wigs for sick kids", then she turned and walked away. Her mom and I just looked at each other until one of us finally said "where did that come from?".

Our plan was to just wait and see if it was something she still wanted in a few days. Well, by the end of the week she had bugged us so much that I was ready to let her shave her head, get tattoos, and join a biker gang.

So down to the hair solon, off came the hair, and it was sent off to Locks of Love.

Story 2:

We really get into Christmas at our house, for weeks we'll tell elaborate stories about what we want most and why, and one year I wanted a telescope. We had marked the day on the calendar when Santa was going to be at the fire station (he lands on the roof and comes down the big ladder to see the kids) and when the day finally arrived it was cold and the line was long, long, long, so it took some time before we reached the big guy. When it was finally her turn with Santa he asked Molly what she wanted and without hesitation she said "I want you to bring my dad a telescope".

Ya, I was speechless.

Now she is taller than her mom, looks far more like a woman than I like, and has a man in her life other than me. But she still kisses me before she leaves the house, will sit next to me on the couch while we watch TV, she will say she loves me in front of her friends, and is still the same caring girl who gave her hair away and used her time with Santa for the benefit of someone else.

Happy birthday Molly, I love you!



8 comments:

Maryann [MF*****Fotos] said...

Great stories, Scott!

barbs said...

what a great young lady!! Obviously she had wonderful parents too!! Happy Birthday Mollie

Jodi Renshaw said...

Love this :)
Happy Day Molly.

Suzanne said...

What a sweet daughter and the pride and love you have for her comes through your words. You both have been blessed for these 16 years! Happy Birthday, Molly!

AC Williams said...

They grow up so fast. What a beautiful young lady. I know you treasure her (and I am sure she treasures you also.) I can see so much life in her through the photos.You have a lot on your hands (in case you hadn't figured that one out yet!) - good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Such fond, wonderful memories. She is such a beautiful girl and so caring. Unfortunately they grow up too fast. I love that magnificant innocence when they are preschoolers. Those were my favorite years of all.

Happy birthday Molly.

half blind said...

Just want to add my Happy Birthday wishes to your lovely daughter, Scott. And Happy Halloween too!

Jeffrey T said...

Happy birthday Molly! Shake what your Mama gave ya!
Scott your'e doing Awesome, Way to go!!!!!