I can be an idiot at times...



I almost told this story yesterday when I posted about the great deal on the Pro Optic Pro 77mm Circular Polarizer, but decided not to as it's better to be thought an idiot than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

But I'm going to tell it anyway... when I first got into photography I had three lenses and of course all three where different sizes, so I said to a friend (one smarter than I), "great, now I have to buy three polarizing filters".

He paused, looked at me kinda funny, then asked why... I explained (indignant that I had to) that three different size lenses, three different size filters, DUH!

With a smile on his face he said, "No Scott, buy one polarizing filter larger than all of your lenses, buy three step down rings, one for each lens that you own and you'll be all set".

Nothing like feeling stupid AND eating crow at the same time.

And hopefully I have removed all doubt.

:)

4 comments:

Chance said...

I'll go ahead and remove all doubt too; I thought the same thing!

Sometimes it's easy to miss the obvious and blogs like yours help those who may have missed the obvious the first time around. Thanks for making me feel like I wasn't the only one!

Robin in Short Pump said...

I didn't know about these and this is very timely. Most of my lenses and filters are 58mm but I just bought a new lens that's 77mm and I need a circular polarizer. I'll buy a step-down instead!

Thanks!

maryann [Maryann's*****Fotos] said...

I'm slapping my forehead! I knew this but didn't think of it when you posted the deal and thought 'oh I can't use one this big'. Well, of course I can! Thanks for reminding us! BUT with a large difference in diameter, a lens hood won't fit.

m_disco said...

Good idea. Wish I had seen this earlier.